Sunday 19 February 2012

Why MBA : The Real Reason



MBA - This three letter abbreviation stands for Masters in Business Administration. It means an entrance to the corporate world ,where the holder of this coveted degree would be assigned a position of responsibility from where he can change the course of history.
But  over the last few years, this once a shunned degree ,which was meant only for those people who weren't so good at studies suddenly had a change in fortune . The reason attributed to this change in attitude of the people have been tried be explained by many a analyst firms and consultants ,but who knows what actually transpires inside a human mind coz numbers are just a quantitative description and are not an indicator of the qualitative factors affecting the outcome of an event.
Over the last four years, I have attended the Interviews of most coveted Indian Institutions disseminating this degree to prospective managers. The institutions as we know them are brand in itself. To name a few, I have been a part of the Interview process of  FMS, IIFT, MDI etc.But there is one question that I have always faced in these four years and that is " Why MBA ????"
So here is what my answer that I give to all of them :

I want to gain a business perspective of doing things and be at a position of responsibility where I can add value to people around me and myself.
Now WTF is that even I don't know but  that is what I had been answering for so many years now because my elder brother said me to do so. He said it looks as nice a cake with lots of chocolate cream on it.
But, as an individual I am trying to analyze the real reasons of Why people wanna be an MBA .....

Reason for College Dudes/Dudettes : Oh Come On Man! We have so far enjoyed our three/four years of college and wanna have an extended vacation. We don't wanna do some crappy job,hence that answers for us  "Why MBA " .

Reason for IITians : We are the best brains of the country and an MBA from IIM - A,B or C would add spice to our degrees of IIT- K ,B or D. We have the first right to be an MBA and would be first in the competition of youngest entrepreneurs on Mother Earth.This answers for  us "Why MBA".

Reasons for Graduates whose Girlfriends are MBA 's  : They do an MBA because their girlfriends are MBA's ( Even from II*M)  and they have given their respective BF'S a stern warning that if not an MBA now then they would marry an MBA from IIM and a new Devdas would be born. Hence we know "Why MBA ".


Reasons for IT 'Unprofessionals' : Do I need to tell "Why MBA ???? "

Reasons for all other graduates from Arts/Commerce/Others : It was us who were meant to be  MBA's . How the hell did you ask "Why MBA"....


With this I come to an end to this post still searching for myself an answer to the question " Why MBA ???"

3 comments:

  1. Achint, you proved you are the best..!!
    This one is too realistic and too gud.. :)
    Just keep up the gud work..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are describing very well on the topic of Why MBA, Definitely many questions will arise in a newcomer's mind such as why, where and when etc..

    ReplyDelete